Saturday, July 18, 2015

In the run up to RWA National Conference...



I mean, while everyone else runs up to RWA Nationals. Because I'm not going. I went for the first time last year and had a great experience, though it was certainly overwhelming for an introvert. I didn't know when I decided to not go (no book out yet, no big publisher to invite me to parties, all the way in New York City, expensive to fly and for the conference and hotel) that I would be so very bummed out that I'm not going.

Especially when I see two authors I like are doing a workshop I'd love to go to, and neither author was there last year, so I haven't met them. And Jenny Crusie is doing TWO workshops. Holy crap! The Crusie!

But really, until I make more money at this writing gig, I can't splurge on that sort of thing every year. Next year is San Diego, so some of us from our local chapter can road trip down together. Or else my family can go on vacation down there at the same time? "Just drop me off here, guys. I'll see you in a few days."

I thought I'd treat this like New Year's Eve and make resolutions:

1) Make my books as great as I can. ("How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice, practice, practice.")
2) Possibly attend another conference - still waffling on Emerald City RWA conference in October, mostly due to the timing.
3) Market the heck out of my books. I mean, all the marketing I can stand, anyway.
4) Lose these pesky twenty pounds I've gained back so I can fit in my beautiful Rita ceremony dress from last year.

(Note to self: do better with hairstyle next time)
5) Write more books. Sell more books. Save the money from books for Conference.
6) Republish my Christmas novella? Market the heck out of that, too.
7) NY Times bestseller list, fabulous mansion, limo rides: coming soon.

4 comments:

  1. I regret not going this year, too. But since my books aren't selling like 50 Shades, money was an issue this year, too. But look out San Diego, I'll be there next year even if I have to sleep on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We could sleep ten to a room. I call the space under the desk!

      Delete
  2. I regret not being able to go to RWA (I've never been to one . . .yet!) Hopefully, I can make the RWA in San Diego. That is my plan and I am already counting the days until I can reserve my spot - and, writing of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am going if I can at all swing it. It is an intense experience. Exhausting. So many people. So much to learn. Constant internal excited screaming because so many of my favorite authors are RIGHT THERE WALKING PAST.

      Delete